Thursday, December 18, 2008

I call this "Instant Soup"

Sorry but no pic, only method.

I call this "Instant Soup" because it is fresh soup in under ten minutes for two (twenty minutes for four)

Ingredients:

About 1/4th pound fresh chicken meat. I use one thigh (skinless and fat removed, also bone removed) and I use some white breast meat

2 medium to large carrots

2 stalks of celery

1 medium onion

1 teaspoon olive oil or salted butter

About 6 ounces of Angel hair rice pasta (I use Chinese version made by WAI)

About 1/2 teaspoon salt

Couple dashes pepper (white pepper is better)

18 to 24 ounces of fresh water

Fresh celery and tomato optional (see bottom of post)

Method:

I peel and cube carrots and dice into 1/3rd inch cubes, dice celery in the same way. Dice onions but set aside.

I set about 16 ounces of water, with the salt added to a hard boil and blanch the carrots and celery for 2 minutes and 15 seconds and remove from water to a bowl. I do not cook them all at once so it will have to be done in a couple batches. Add only what you can add without reducing the hard boil, then stop. The hard boil is important to keep them from getting soggy and losing all their flavor in the water.

Next I boil the onions, only until they turn a crisp white color. I remove them and add them to the carrots & celery.

Remove all of the skin and fat from the chicken, remove the bones and dice the chicken same as carrots in size (small size makes them suspend better in the broth later)

In a heavy skillet heat the oil or butter until almost smoking then quickly add the chicken, add little more salt and add pepper. Quickly stir-fry it on very high heat, do this to the point that there will be quite a bit of burning on the pan but do not over-cook the meat.

Take the water from the carrots, celery and onions and add some to it, use your spatula to scrape the burning chicken elements from the bottom of the skillet (this will be your soups broth), add the rest of the water from the pan and vegetables back into the skillet and bring back to a hard boil for a minute or so.

Break up the angel hair pasta and add it to the soup then add the remaining 8 or so ounces of water and cook two minutes more and yer done...

Another variation of this is in the last minute of cooking I add cubed fresh tomatoes and broccoli heads trimmed nicely. This only works if you don't over cook the tomatoes unless you want to start choking on tomato skins, which are hard to swallow.

I am Celiac, so is my daughter. This recipe is gluten free.

I think you'll like it if you try it

PS: I know I double space way too much and I know it sux, but my readin aint so good these days so I so it for myself so I can see the paragraph alone. If not I'd get lost & give up. I even copy and paste good stuff from sites into notepad because it's only way I can read it...

No comments: