Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Words are art,,,

Words are art, but...

Spoken words are not!

A spoken word or a conversation is a compromise for meaning and perception.
When you speak to someone it is an agreement made amongst yourselves as to how those words will be perceived. That is not Art. That is a garage sale, just negotiations for meanings and compromises all over the place.

Art allows no compromise in any form unless it is or has been stolen from another person, and "yes" words are stolen very often.

Guess what though?
They are more often stolen when they are spoken words than written words and why would that be?
Because in defense to stealing them you use more spoken words to defend them, which is more compromise and more negotiations.
Aint that how you ruin good dirt? By dragging trash through it till it's all worthless?

I used to write average of 100 pages a day on paper. No fluff and it scared me.
It scared me that someone might read some of it.
None of it dreams of sex or mayhem. It was just what was in my head and my head used to never stop. It still never stops.

I use music and art as a means to get out of my own thoughts and into someone elses. For quite a few years I used a needle & drugs instead...

Why?

Because the writing, the painting, the emotion was too much for me so I learned to redirect it.

I remember being nine years old and buying Fire and Rain by James Taylor. I'd sit there with the record player set to re-cue and replay and one night I had listened to it about 4 hours before I was caught. I was laughed at and asked why but I couldn't answer then. I could now though. The answer was "I still hadn't heard it all yet"

Am I off topic?

I Don't think so because the subject is words are art and I was afraid to use them so I filled my mind with other art.

Am I retarded?
You bet yer ass I am and I'm so proud of it I aint even got words to explain how glad I am!

I was thinking about my wife one night and trying not to write about it. So being the fool that I am I opened up the dictionary and started readin words (I know it's a bad habit, but I still do that now, cept now I use the internet).

I love middle languages and lost words. At that time I was into reading poetry from mid 1400's to early 1500's, so that's what I was looking for.

I came across a word "slatternly" and then I said "hmmmm, reminds me of someone". So I kept cross referencing it and found what I needed to write to her to tell her how I felt.

I aint gonna share it all with you but three pages and fifteen minutes later here is some of what she got from me...

You slatternly, slovenly, slatternous slut
You fucked up indignant infectous mutt
You ruler of lie and you burdon of shame
You wear a disguise because you can't make it straight

You sold your own children, just like you sold your own life
You're like that slow dieing pigeon that turned my stomach one night...

It went on almost two pages but as I said "I'm afraid of people reading my stuff"
Anyway,,,

I could have just as easily found a different word and mused on it.
Maybe "mercy" or compromise with "shadow" even, but I didn't

I very rarely write for anyone anymore, unless I need to.
I also teach my children not to write.

Sound fukked-up? Eh?

Well I do because once you have written it you not only owned it but now it also owns you.

Because written word is Art

I could write a virgin into my bed with very little effort, seduction is easy, especially when you are useing the senses inside the mind. I know this because I did it very often. You could also write a pain into someone that they will never forget.
Heavy taxes on all of those options Bro.

When I gave that poem to my wife 15 years ago I gave her two more. All the same but each from a different angle.
I left her then and have not seen her since but I know that she will never forget what I wrote, because... Written word offers no compromise, no settlement, no barganing and you can twist what the ears hear and don't want hear, but what your mind and heart see and hear is forever.

So I teach my children not to write like I did unless they can be better at it than me.

Peace.


"

No comments: