Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This is a "remember when" post

I've got (when I aint all messed up drunk or on drugs) a fantastic memory.
People almost never believe me, but I do.

Tonight I found this vid...

Petula Clark & Peggy Lee: I'm a woman


It remembered me of this night...

I was born in February, 1961. That means in December 1961 I was not yet even a year old, so in "62" I was one, "63", two an then in 64 I was three years old. Right?

We had to make a lotta trips into Boston that year. We used what they called back then a "beach-buggy". It was just a shitty station wagon but to get us dumb kids to like em they told us they were beach buggy's and promised many days at the ocean on the beach with them.

That was what you were promised but what you got was ""Lay down in the back , keep your head down and shut the fuck up!"

So it was the middle of December in 1964 and all the lights were up. I was layin down and shuttin th' fuck-up and looking at them in awe and the most beautiful song came on the radio.
It went like this...

"When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go downtown.....things will be great when you're downtown" and "You can find someone there who will help and understand you"....

I'll never forget that night because I'm pretty sure the real reason we were "downtown" that night was because I had spinal meningitus and we had to make many trips into Childrens Hospital to deal with it, but I grew up in a world where if grandpa died we never talked about it. We just said we were all getting together at aunties house for icecream.

Point is the "Help and understand you" part with the city lights and the perfection of the beautiful feelings that Patula Clark gave me at only age 3.

Enjoy please...

Petula Clark - Downtown (1964 TOTP)


No comments: