Monday, January 5, 2009

tide

I was once longshore along a coast
lost my ship out in the sea
found doubt and fear, resolves were cast
hesitations predicted me
I cast in waves my arms and legs, cast my faith with all I had
floated slowly toward a shore, afraid of what was there...

Met burdens beyond my hardest fears
seems everyone defined me as a lie
met children there too
tried to talk
I walked away alone, I cried
met barroom men and sailor men,
met police and priests of kind
I walked some more, I left them all

I wondered why I swam at all
at one stop in an emergency I had a son or two
one now dead, the other one

He's just my friend, he needs his life
continued on my life forgotten now
I gave my way to fate
Had another daughter and son
nother son and daughter too

Now we don't see, can't see too far
roads melt before our eyes
the ocean steam creates a mist, can't see much beyond that

so now I'm here longshore once more
in no boat again, amongst the tides
difference is I am now a man
much older from the tide

Let God bless this time for me
because I'm swimming half blind once more
I pray my children swim somewhere near to me
we find land on better shore

No comments: