Saturday, January 24, 2009

Professional quality wall repair tip

This guy made a pretty good tutorial, still I recommend the use of a few screws (especially) if the repair is anything larger than or equal to the size of an electrical wall outlet.

When I save most all of my scrap paneling or lauan for use when doing this. I rip all of my scraps to 3" width and average 10 to 12" lengths and store them in my work bucket. I use these rather than pine strips because you can cut them to length with a drywall knife onsite without making a mess. I then cut the strips 3"s longer than the hole and screw both the top and bottom against the back of the repair through the existing sheetrock, I add a screw to the side if needed also, then I do the same to the other side. This gives me a firm backing support for my repair along with a way to attach 2 to 4 (or more) screws to my pocket patch to secure it more firmly.

Then I proceed exactly in the same manner as the video using (Sheetrock brand) Easy Sand 20 for my repairs. This reduces setting time and can cut a day or two off finishing time and can be mixed in very small batches using a paint stick for mixing & water for clean up. A damp sponge instead of sandpaper will eliminate virtually all dust and with practice give as good if not better results for small repairs.

"Easily Repair Damaged Walls Yourself With This Trick
Repair damaged Sheetrock yourself without the need of screws, nails, tape, wood or any backing material. A scrap piece of drywall and some compound will be all you need."


How to make a "Pocket patch"
(or, how to repair a wall)

No comments: