Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama & a little bit of the story on it.

This page I snagged from another Blog. It's called "The Sweetest Psychopath" and I'll link you to it [HERE], I could just post my copy of it but I liked his presentation so I left intact. Below is more or less his post, below that I'll post my favorite version of the song...

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (4:52)
[Download the song]
Greese In The Fryin’ Pan - Live FM Broadcast Oct. 30, 1973
Memphis, Tennessee

Sweet Home Alabama, written by Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant

“We wrote Alabama as a joke. We didn’t even think about it-the words just came out that way. We just laughed like hell, and said ‘Ain’t that funny’… We love Neil Young, we love his music…”…. Ronnie Van Zant

The Neil Young references in the lyrics propagated a myth that Skynyrd and Neil Young were bitter rivals. In fact, the opposite was true. Ronnie Van Zant was a huge Neil Young fan, and Skynyrd went on to open for him later on. The cover of 1977’s “Street Survivors” album shows Ronnie dressed in a Neil Young t-shirt. In fact, after the Skynyrd plane crash, Young himself performed Sweet Home Alabama at his gigs in tribute to his fallen friends.

Featuring Ed King’s infamous Stratocaster riff as well as the solos. Who could’ve guessed that Sweet Home Alabama would pay Ed’s rent for over 30 years.

Happy Birthday Ed King !!!

Check out Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Ed King: The Gibson Interview

and The Official Website of Ed King

Now my favorite version, Sweet Home Alabama,
The Ultimix version

No comments: