Saturday, July 11, 2009

This is the rational view of the universe. Accept no less.

Richard Feynman tells it like it is.

"This guy is very intelligent and I really liked hearing his viewpoint.

This was posted on RealityCarnival.com [here].



I could post many of the 100's of comments, but I'll just post the few that jumped out at me.

Here they are:

# 1) Posted by: Krisko Author Profile Page | July 3, 2009 12:06 AM

I love the notion of creation myths being "too provincial." That's a term I have to start using more.

#4) Posted by: Andyo Author Profile Page | July 3, 2009 12:15 AM

You REALLY should check out that whole interview.

My favorite parts are the one about the flower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZNsIFID28

And a science and chess analogy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1dgrvlWML4

And on Flying Saucers (much older video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLaRXYai19A

#7) Posted by: Abber | July 3, 2009 12:31 AM

Scientists just want to learn more about the world!? They should be at home reading the answers in the "special stories" of the Bible!

Feynman rocks.

#11) Posted by: John | July 3, 2009 1:41 AM

Feynman knows where it's at. Just as an additional note, I think that he acknowledges with the whole "...its no use arguing, I can't argue..", and the rest of the phrasing emphasizing his personal perspective, that while we all know that what he's saying is 'right' and how we are 'supposed' to approach things, he very much means this is his own personal approach.

From my reading of Feynman I have always been impressed not just with his emphasis on the limitations of our knowledge and uncertainty as an inherent part of science, but also his emphasis (or disclaimer) that what he says is just from his personal perspective. He seems to realise that that inherent focus on doubt is a part of him (probably influenced by his father tho' to be fair) and that there are others who, no matter what he does or his frustration, just won't agree with him.

Furthermore, reading his books and the biography by Gleick I was attracted to his positive approach of just putting out how he does things, without saying this is how others should do them also, and perhaps hoping this will be the best way to get people thinking, rather than trying to impose his views on others too forcefully or as universal truths. He had a very compelling honesty with regards to his own views and his own limitations, which made one wonder about one's own without feeling like he was trying to convince you of or sell you anything.
He seemed to really know how to engage with others' perspectives and 'lead' them through his own observations. I suppose that unfortunately this won't work in all cases tho'...

Also I would like myself to say that I do believe in creationism and do believe in what the Bible states to be true. I only in fact like that he views science from an open perspective rather than justification for pre-conceived notions.

Again, you can view the post in it's entirety at this link [HERE]

No comments: