Saturday, August 21, 2010

Almost instant hamburger buns [home made]


I just got a link to this in my email from Back Yard Chickens Newsletter. It was sent in or posted by Sue Edwards and I'm posting it here in full because I think it sounds wonderful.


A neighbor posted this recipe on our church’s e-bulletin board and I  copied it. I made it today thinking the whole time…there is no way this  is going to work. I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 water and I used my Kitchen  Aid mixer to knead the rolls for 5 minutes then cut them into 16 pieces  instead of 12, shaped…rested the 10 minutes and bakes 10 minutes.


Color  me in shock and lying on the floor. These are some of the best rolls  I’ve ever made. I can’t wait to try them out as hamburger buns. 


40 Minute Hamburger Buns or Rolls
By Sue Edwards


***(Note:  By Sue Edwards)*** Here on our ranch, I cook for three men besides by  family and they all love hamburgers. These fluffy yet hearty buns are  just right for their big appetites. I also serve the buns plain with a  meal.


Ingredients
* 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
* 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour


Directions
* In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let
* stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a
* soft dough.
*
* Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
* 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into
* a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
*
* Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes
* or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
* Yield: 1 dozen.



Wife and mother of 4 kids, 2 American Mastiffs, 3 cats, 30 chickens, 8 ducks and 7 guineas.
Betty's Chicken House Project. [Link Here...]

Sounds good, huh?

No comments: